Thursday, April 12, 2007

Red Devil’s Red Massacre

070410: The alarm went off at 0330. Half of my mind was half-conscious, another half was still in dreamland. The part which was half-conscious, had a hunch that something good was to happen. It kicked the other half to live.

I switched on the TV. To my shock it was 4-0 at the break! When first-half highlights were replayed, I knew from the moves the form was there. It was such a joy looking at those free-flowing styles, flicks and dummies which were deprived of in modern football. Who wants ‘joga bonito’ (play beautiful) when winning is all that it matters? And which were sorely missed ever since the team of treble-winning ’99.



When the second-half resumed, a sweet MU fanatic aka SaxyCookie messaged me about the good news. Earlier I had a long chat with her till close to midnight. After a tiring day, I thought I wouldn’t find the oomph to even switch on half of my mind. She thought I would not too.

But somehow I was so glad to be part of the history-making moment. Throughout more than a decade of following this team, I have not witnessed such brutal score, not in such an important stage of a major tournament anyway. Not against such a high quality team anyway. Not against an opponent skipper who was so confident that commented ‘after this game, Alex is gonna remember me’.

But I’m glad that SaxyCookie do remember me despite such a long time since we left college. Having an MU lady fanatic brings extra zest to the whole excitement. Two red devils make it a bloodier massacre! Ouch….


(hope she doesn't mind me putting up this cute caricature of her - I can't resist, it's such a work of art)

No comments: